Deepika Padukone’s Exit From Spirit: Sandeep Reddy Vanga’s Brother Claims Profit-Sharing Demand Was a Factor

By Alice Published: Aug 21, Friday, 2026, 13:11 [IST]

Deepika Padukone’s exit from Spirit has brought back questions about the negotiations that preceded the casting change from producer Pranay Reddy Vanga, brother of filmmaker Sandeep Reddy Vanga.

Deepika Padukone Pranay Reddy vanga
https://en.wikipedia.org/ | https://www.facebook.com/pranayreddy.vanga/

According to Pranay, the negotiations were about remuneration, working hours, and a 10 per cent share of the film’s profits. His comments have once again brought to light one of the most discussed casting changes in the Prabhas-led project.

Spirit is directed by Sandeep Reddy Vanga, who previously worked on Arjun Reddy and Animal films. Prabhas is the lead actor in the project, and Triptii Dimri is now in the main cast after Deepika’s departure. The film is set to be released in March 2027 and is already one of the most eagerly awaited movies in Indian cinema.

As for Deepika’s departure, Pranay said remuneration and timing led to it. He also claimed there were other reasons for the breakdown of the talks. Sandeep had been interested in casting Deepika and had been talking with her for about 18 months before the team eventually decided to look at other options.

Pranay made some of the most significant claims about profit sharing. Deepika, he claimed, asked for 10 per cent of the film’s profits as well as the remuneration being negotiated. Pranay said the producers considered the financial implications and concluded that the economics of the project did not work for them. These are the producer’s views of the negotiations and should not be considered as an independently established explanation of Deepika’s exit.

The new comments add another dimension to an issue which had been mostly about hours worked and salary. Deepika had been reported to be seeking an eight-hour working day for the project. The conversation later circulated to the film industry about working conditions, compensation, and expectations on actors working on large-scale productions.

Pranay also made another allegation regarding the release of confidential information. He claimed that details about the film's storyline and Deepika's proposed character had been discussed and leaked in the middle of negotiations, and the production team was unhappy with this. But this is another claim of the Spirit camp, and there has been no independent evidence that Deepika herself leaked confidential information.

Deepika’s departure from Spirit had already generated a lot of discussion when Triptii Dimri was announced as her replacement. At the time, there was speculation as to why it happened, and remuneration, working conditions, and scheduling were mentioned. The actress has not publicly confirmed the specific 10 per cent profit-share accusation by Pranay, reports say.

The dispute also underlines the tangled financial contracts in the Indian film industry to which big film producers are involved. Top actors may demand fixed pay packages, performance-linked perks, profit participation, and certain work conditions. For producers, however, these contracts have to be negotiated on top of production budgets and distribution plans, marketing expenses, and the commercial expectations of a big theatrical release.

The economics of Spirit are particularly important because the movie brings Prabhas and Sandeep Reddy Vanga together. There has been huge anticipation for the director's previous films, which have received high response and box office attention, and Prabhas is still one of the biggest pan-India stars. The addition of Triptii Dimri has also shaped expectations for the project.

The crisis also shows how negotiations between prominent stars and filmmakers can be public even if they are talking about it privately. Once that casting decision changes, reports and competing accounts can quickly take over entertainment media coverage. Pranay’s comments in this case have only reignited questions that had largely been out of focus.

Deepika Padukone's exit is still contested, as is the reason for her departure. Pranay Reddy Vanga claims the 10 per cent profit-sharing claim, while Deepika has not publicly confirmed that. Other factors could have been remuneration and scheduling, so there could have been more than one reason for the casting change.

With Spirit still featuring Prabhas and Triptii Dimri, the film will be in focus more and more regarding its development, marketing campaign, and release date. But Deepika's exit is no longer out of the way for the movie, and people will still follow behind the scenes of big-budget Indian films.

Even as the project prepares to be released in 2027, the debate will still be around, given the different stories and narratives of the negotiations. For audiences, the difference is between what is said on the record (like Triptii Dimri joining the cast) and what could be said by the production team itself. Until all parties come out with the truth, the negotiations should be treated with considerable caution.

Deepika Padukone

Comments

Sign in to comment
Please to leave a comment on this article.
Top Stories
Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get the latest articles delivered to your inbox.

‘Anireekshita Athithigalu’ Grabs Attention with Its Catchy Songs!
‘Anireekshita Athithigalu’ Grabs Attention with Its Catchy Songs!